PDA

View Full Version : ladies and gents

Forever Finite
09-14-2005, 08:30 AM
you have all been invited to do me a huge favor.

i don't have a microphone, but those of you who do can help me try out something new. i want to experiment with my ability to memorize my notes because i'm so bad at absorbing information. so, if you're interested in helping me, send me a PM or just say something in this thread and i can PM you.

alt. thread topic: intelligences; what kind of learner are you?

CONELRAD Advisory
09-14-2005, 08:40 AM
I still need to buy a microphone so I can start doing this "podcasting" thing all the hip young kids are jiveing about.

What kind of learner am I? Uhhh... the kind that absorbs every bit of extraneous information <i>excluding</i> the useful stuff that shows up on tests?

MST3Kakalina
09-14-2005, 08:44 AM
i learn by...ahdunno. i either get it right away, or i don't.

i love doing worksheets, though. anything repetitive and formulaic like grammar or algebra. i don't know if i actually LEARN from those, but they make me happy.

banky
09-14-2005, 09:35 AM
I learn through repetitive smashing to side of the head.

Repetitive smashings to the head.

deadish
09-14-2005, 09:42 AM
iiiii have a microphone.

and i learn best by either curling into a ball and reading or by my mum telling me something in an outrageous way. (she teaches anatomy and medical terminology.. and all her students remember her lessons well because she's as insane as i am.)
studying never helps me and often makes me forget EVERYTHING. D: i also have no head for math or algebra. OH HO.

me: what's a draught horse?
mum: one that isn't canned.

implode
09-14-2005, 09:54 AM
several microphones, but none in ths house. sorry. if it means that much to you i can steal one.

eeegh. a stifled, retarded one. if i can't convince myself that i'm interested in what i'm learning about, most of it won't sink in on the first try. i haven't actually had to test my intellectual capabilities out in quite some time, but i remember having trouble spot-remembering certain things during highschool. the drugs probably didn't help with that, though.

however, teach a lesson and then immediately assign an a quiz on that very same lesson and i'll tear it the fuck up. as long as it doesn't require extended memory usage, i'm not half bad at absorbing it. and i'm pretty good with matters of spelling and vocabulary and whatnot, what with being friends with koba for all these years.

and i've always been terrible at maths. even when i got all a's back in littlekidschool, i still hated it and forgot everything i'd learned by the end of the year.

Davey Rootbeer
09-14-2005, 10:40 AM
I have a mic.

Best way to retain information is to study at a buffet. that way, if you ever get hungry, you don't have to leave the room to get food. study a chapter at a time, then have a small snack. quiz yourself on earlier concepts/terms throughout.

RCCC
09-14-2005, 11:28 AM
I personally write everything I read, or at-least the important stuff down. Sort of like notes, but sometimes I copy down entire pages. Basically I don't go back to what I write down. Afterwords I basically memorize everything. I don't do this in literature reading of course, that is just comprehension.

Forever Finite
09-14-2005, 12:07 PM
anybody here read howard gardner's theory of multiple intelligences?

implode
09-14-2005, 12:32 PM
fuck i knew you'd be referring to something like that.

yeah. i forget what mine was. isn't there, like, a lame quiz you can take on thespark about it?

t3
09-14-2005, 12:39 PM
I have a nanoscopic mic cleverly hidden somewhere on the monitor to this here groovy machine known as an iMac, and sicne I'm the only one with the heat tolerance to stay in the house anymore with no AC, it's actually quite enough to use it sometimes. (It picks up EVERYTHING.)

I am most assuredly a visual learner. I learn best through experience. When I'm simply given spoken or written instructions, my sadistic imagination can't ever seem to get itself on the same page as whoever is trying in vain to convey the information to me. But as soon as I see what it is I'm supposed to be learning, I make goodn an' short work of remembering it. (This is why I never read game manuals until I've played them for about an hour or two first...)

MST3Kakalina
09-14-2005, 01:09 PM
and i'm pretty good with matters of spelling and vocabulary and whatnot, what with being friends with koba for all these years.

i know you're kidding, but still. :)

Davey Rootbeer
09-14-2005, 01:34 PM
anybody here read howard gardner's theory of multiple intelligences?

is that the one with 7 intelligences, interpersonal, intrapersonal, and about 5 more that i forgot?

If so, then yeah. I learned that in 5th grade, i think it was. it was some stupid program that sent me to another school ever wednesday to do assignments and stuff with all the other smart kids from the rest of the disctrict.

They served teddy grahams. i think we wore masks and put on a play about the greek myths, too.

Forever Finite
09-14-2005, 01:36 PM
he's discovered 2 more intelligences since his first book. one of them is agriculture, or like plants or something.

the original 7 are:
interpersonal, intrapersonal, logical, linguistic, spatial, kinisthetic, and music

MST3Kakalina
09-14-2005, 01:37 PM
there's intrapersonal, verbal, spatial(?), physical, interpersonal, musical(?)....

The Manga MILF
09-14-2005, 01:40 PM
I, too, own a microphone, as I have made painfully obvious in the past. And I would be happy to help you with whatever this was again.

anybody here read howard gardner's theory of multiple intelligences?I read it in 8th grade and mostly thought it was a load of nonsense, mainly because I had to spend hours of class time filling out electronic surveys to determine which one I was.

Forever Finite
09-14-2005, 01:54 PM
well that is just nonsense to test kids to find which one they are. it's so CONTRADICTORY to his theory. haha. LAUGHABLE I SAY

The Manga MILF
09-14-2005, 02:13 PM
YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND

What that should say is that I had a negative attitude regarding it due to the immense amount of time spent on it. I did think it was nonsense, but for other, undisclosed reasons. Sometimes my own words can turn against me, it seems.

This has been a public service announcement.

Forever Finite
09-14-2005, 02:23 PM
you mean, you read the actual book and still think it's bullshit?

seems liek a step in the right direction for american school systems, though. are you proposing we continue to prepare kids only linguistically and mathematically? huh, trogg? is that what you want?

MST3Kakalina
09-14-2005, 02:48 PM
i think part of the idea is bullshit in that it seems to correlate with an "everybody is special, yay!" sunshine-and-lollipops way of looking at the world. i agree that you can be very good in some things (say, physical intelligence, or linguistic intelligence) but really poor in others (mathematical or spatial) but that doesn't mean everyone is really strong in their strongest one. some people just aren't smart in anything at all.

Forever Finite
09-14-2005, 02:56 PM
but he says that in his book. you're just reiterating it. he, in no way, says "everyone is intelligent, yippe".

The Manga MILF
09-14-2005, 03:01 PM
you mean, you read the actual book and still think it's bullshit?

seems liek a step in the right direction for american school systems, though. are you proposing we continue to prepare kids only linguistically and mathematically? huh, trogg? is that what you want?I read what could be called the "cliff-notes version". I got all the basic ideas down, but didn't really go into all the details. And DUDE, I don't think it's BS, I just don't think it's the greatest thing ever.

Yes, that is true, but what Kathy said is also true, and my opinion is this: At all the schools I've been to, a broad range of subjects is covered pretty well, each of them challenging a different field. I'm not saying the application of these ideas is a bad idea, because it isn't, I'm saying that it's not something that schools should focus on as much as they tend to do. Again, this is just the schools I've been to, so I could be biased on this. I just instinctively distrust systems like this. Each student is an individual person, and call me crazy, but using a system of tests to determine which combination of several preselected categories a student fits in seems kind of dehumanizing to me.

H. L. PUTTLEGRASS SIGNING OFF AND HEADED FOR THE TUB

MST3Kakalina
09-14-2005, 03:03 PM
well, i admit i haven't read the book, so. but everyone i've encountered (teachers and so on) has been more like "everyone's good in SOMETHING, see, we all have different intelligences!" and i'm like "uh...."

MST3Kakalina
09-14-2005, 03:03 PM
hey trogg way to put me out of context, asshole.

The Manga MILF
09-14-2005, 03:05 PM
I only exist to make people hate me.

AngryGoatFace
09-14-2005, 05:35 PM
<Font face="trebuchet MS">big brother is watching you....</font>

Awesome McManly
09-15-2005, 04:49 AM
I'm definitely strong in spatial intelligence. I remember my newspaper had an article on Mensa, and provided this little quiz thingy. I got every single question relating to spatial or visual intelligence. My math isn't the best though. Maybe it's because every math teacher I've ever had was only capable of teaching us formulas, as apposed to the how or why.

~V+
09-15-2005, 04:51 AM
howard gardner is a hack.

Sweeping Abortion Restrictions
09-15-2005, 02:18 PM
For a second, I seriously thought that this thread was titled 'Ladies and Cunts.' No joke.

As a learner, I think that I am a smart alec. I listen for the literal meaning when the point is metaphorical, I think of ways to twist words around, and I don't pay very much attention to anything that does not quite seriously interest me.

I would be much interested in elaborating if someone provided me a link to a sort of cliffs notes version of this text like trogg noted.

MST3Kakalina
09-15-2005, 02:39 PM
hey, this guy is from about an hour north of my house. neat.

AngryGoatFace
09-15-2005, 03:49 PM
<font face="Trebuchet MS">i am a banana.</font>

CONELRAD Advisory
09-15-2005, 03:58 PM
That stopped being funny two fucking years ago.

AngryGoatFace
09-15-2005, 04:15 PM
That stopped being funny two fucking years ago.
<font face="trebuchet MS">but i just saw it.

forgive me?</font>

Sweeping Abortion Restrictions
09-15-2005, 05:31 PM
It's still funny when somebody you don't know walks by and says it and you can reply. But as an internets joke, it's pretty old.

The Manga MILF
09-15-2005, 08:59 PM
All internet jokes become old almost immediately, due to the rampant ADHD in forum users.